Monday 7 May 2012

The Dangers of Dependence on Complex Technology

Our society is absolutely addicted to complex technology. It impacts our daily lives in so many ways, and perhaps the worst part of it is that we don't actually realize just how dependent we have become on it. Cell phones, computers, televisions, cars, stop lights, alarm systems, banks, and many other aspects of our daily lives all depend on complex technology. We only realize just how much we depend on this technology when we cannot use it due to an event such as a power outage. In some aspects, complex technology has practically taken away our ability to rely on ourselves as well as on one another.


This issue is important to me as I believe that I am guilty of being unaware of just how dependent I am on complex technology. Clearly I am not the only person who is guilty of this, and therefore I believe that this makes this issue all the more real.


This complex technology is important as it shows us that society is still moving forward and evolving. However, I think that we need to be critical of new technology rather than embracing it immediately as it may not be the best for us in the long run.When we look at how many jobs have been lost to new electronically run machines we must consider how technology may actually take away from human beings. Are we really willing to let our human counterparts suffer due to technology? When I think of technology, I believe that it should be something that is good for everyone.


A possible solution to this problem could be enforcing policies which ensure that jobs will not be lost due to the next technological advancement. I believe that there is room in this world for technology and humanity to exist harmoniously, however we need to set limitations on how far we are willing to let technology go.

No comments:

Post a Comment